Personal Lessons from 1 Corinthians 13 (part 1)

Here are some personal lessons I have learned from 1 Corinthians 13 in the context of family life:
1.  Love is patient. I get irritable at times.  At times I have been impatient with my wife (Thank God she is patient with my impatience!). Jesus was patient with people.  Patient with the corrupt crook named Zaccheus. Patient with the motormouth Peter.   Shouldn’t I be more patient with my lovely wife's little shortcomings (compare that with my unforgivable shortcomings) who at times still struggle with the hardships of child rearing. 
2.  Love is kind. Love is not just about words.  It is love in action.  It means going the extra mile. It means washing the dishes for my wife and not just saying I love you.  When was the last time your  wife said to you, “Dear, you are so kind to me.”    Before anyone else should say I am a loving person, my wife should be the  first to say I am kind.   Am I kind? Way a lot to go!
3.  Love does not envy.  My wife knows I love gadgets. Although I am not that type of person who really covets people’s stuff, I am that person who can become greedy (at least in the mind).  Lusting for the latest gadgets.  For the latest technological trends.  Sucked in to the hype.  Although i try to reason out that I do need these things for ministry, they never get used for its intended purpose. Or should I say their use are not maximized as  effective tools for my ministry.  I should carefully think about these matters. 
... to be continued

0 comments: