Pickpockets Love Texters: How I Experienced Grace

I was on my way to our company party. Upon reaching Manila city, I took my wallet from my pants and "secured" it inside my bag. Instinctively I knew pickpockets are busy as well during the Christmas holidays. As I walked towards the metro train I decided to update my phone's email and checked on my short text messages. A few meters from the counter I took my backpack... immediately i felt a numbing heat all over my body. The zipper got unzipped and my wallet tucked 1 foot deep to the bag's bottom was gone.

Good thing I only had 400 pesos in that wallet but I need those cards- ID's, driver's license, security cards, credit card, and my ATM card. Good thing I still had my cellphone with me. I was about to call my bank when I remembered there was a branch close by. In ten minutes time, I requested the customer service to put my bank cards on hold. Pickpockets these days are high tech so I never gave them the chance to use my cards. The bank teller told me that if they had used my credit card before I canceled the services, I will still have to pay it.

Since I only had 15 pesos in my pocket, I was thinking how would I get home? How would I spend my Christmas holidays without an ATM card? Will my bank allow me to withdraw my savings without valid ID's to present? The most logical thing was to get to my bank (my company's branch) which was 30 minutes away by train so I can withdraw my salary. But how to get there....

The Bible says ASK (ask, seek, knock) and it will be given to you. I could call a friend in Manila to pick me up or ask my senior supervisors to come and give me money. It was not the best option at that time. It was at that time that I literally "asked" and "begged" for help.

"Nakakahiya man po, pero pwede po ba akong mamasko sa inyo?" (I don't even know you Ma'am, but can I ask for a Christmas gift?" With a smile on her face she handed me a 20 peso bill. At that moment, that was the most important paper money bill I ever held. I was not expecting her to hand me a thousand pesos. But what she gave me was "grace". "Enough grace" to get to my bank. I was not her friend but she extended it to someone in need of grace.

As I pastor I will never get to know or experience everything about God in this dying planet. In fact, even my two-inch thick Bible just recorded "enough" revelation to show me how to make it to heaven. And Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross was "enough" to get me to God's rich depository of his riches and grace - to be in His presence now and beyond. All I ever need today is enough grace to get me to another day and enjoy His mercy. And He wants me to ask for enough grace daily till the day comes when I will live in God's bank - in heaven throughout eternity.... and beyond.

Have you asked for God's grace today?

0 comments: